SOBA 2007 Conference Highlights From Coeur D’ Alene, Idaho
The nation’s boating access leaders had plenty of issues to discuss during their annual conference held in early October at the beautiful Coeur d’Alene Resort in Idaho. Attended by approximately 230 State Boating Access leaders and industry support providers, SOBA’s 21st Annual Conference was a resounding success. A number of SOBA Alumni (past members retired from State government) were also in attendance.
Some sessions included:
• Work being accomplished by SOBA Partners (Boat US, American Canoe Assn, NMMA, National Parks Service, The US Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Sport Fish and Boating Partnership Council)
• State Success Stories – Learning from our members
• New Dock Construction Technology
• Floating Restrooms – Maintenance Methods and Costs
• ADA Technology, Regulations, and Compliance
• Sedimentation, Wave Erosion, and Shoreline Protection
• All Things Concrete (Docks, Ramps, and Pervious Parking Pavements)
• Invasive Aquatic Species
• Marketing Your Program and Your Projects
SOBA's Annual Meeting was held on Monday, October 8th and was hosted by Terry Boyd, the 2006-2007 Board President. A "Year in Review" presentation was given to all attendees to outline the activities and accomplishments over the past year.
The "Year in Review" presentation can be viewed by clicking here.
Successful Clean Vessel Act (CVA)Workshop Held in Idaho
SOBA hosted a pre-conference Clean Vessel Act (CVA) Workshop on Saturday, October 6th as part of the 21st Annual Conference, which was held October 7 – 9 in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Generously funded by a grant from the State of California, over 60 attendees representing 30 states participated in the workshop which emphasized:
• Allowing state coordinators to learn about functioning CVA programs;
• Networking opportunities between state coordinators and pump-out equipment manufacturers in order to gain a better understanding of this pump-out procedures;
• An update on the Sport Fish and Boating Partnership Council's CVA Review; and
• A survey review conducted with a sampling of boaters, marina owners, and state CVA coordinators concerning the CVA program.
All workshop attendees should have already received a copy of the CVA workshop proceedings. If you have not received your copy or you didn’t have an opportunity to attend the workshop, but would like to receive the proceedings, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2007 Conference Proceedings
Conference proceedings for the 2007 Annual Conference are currently being reproduced. Each conference participant will receive the proceedings in due course. If you were unable to attend the conference, the proceedings are available for purchase for $10.00. Email email@example.com to receive an order form.